Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Mission Statement


I think it's time that I shared with you all why I am so into vintage. It runs much deeper that dealing in pretty things. At the risk of sounding grandiose, here goes:

I want to change the way that the world buys things. I especially want to change the way that AMERICA buys things. As a society, we have been on a non-stop, production-heavy, highly disposable roll. It makes my stomach turn a little when I think of all of the STUFF that is out there, floating around in the world, unwanted and unused because people opted for new stuff. Don't get me wrong, every once in a while I just crave something brand-new and never before owned. Also, sometimes vintage clothing just doesn't cut it. At a tall and fleshy size 12, I have a really hard time wearing all vintage all the time. Old clothes just don't usually fit me, but there's always a gem out there, in my size, waiting to be discovered. So you bodaciously curvy ladies, you listen up too! Vintage isn't just for the waifs and the long, lanky ladies. Curves are in and they will fit into vintage as well!

Beyond the strictly "20 years or older" vintage rule that Etsy lays out, I also believe that it is best to try to buy used before I result to buying something new, in ANY CATEGORY of daily life. If I need a toaster oven, I'm going to troll Craigslist and the local thrift stores for a good, clean, working-order toaster oven before I EVER think about hitting my local chain stores. This saves the conscience and the wallet. Furthermore, the mixture of things that you end up surrounded by is evermore eclectic and interesting! Want to start a great conversation when some friends are over? Bust out a set of nesting coffee cups that stack into a neat little column and stow away in the tiniest of corners!

I'm rambling, so I guess my point is, if you don't want to be a part of filling our earth with excessive junk, please consider buying vintage or previously-owned. As a society, we need to slow down and think about what it is we're doing to our Earth. It's the only one we get, after all. Be a part in slowing it down. Demand less "shiny new" and turn to things that have already been made. You'll love the result!

Are you looking for something specific? Vintage or not, comment and list items you're lusting after. Name a reasonable price, and I'll find it for you! Simply email me at anidealinsideofme@gmail.com. If it's out there, I can find it! It's the most affordable personal shopping you'll ever find.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...